1. One of the most influential factors for ranking high on search engines is the amount of incoming links and the location of the links. There are two types of links, One-way links and two-way links.
One-way links are arguably the most effective when it comes to ranking high on search engines. Think of the Internet as a popularity contest, the more people who vote for you (links), the more creditable you (website and content) become.
Two-way links are exchange of links from Site A and Site B, and therefore some SEO specialist would say, “cancel each other out”. It has less of an effect for the search engines (yes, search engines are smart) but if you are exchanging links to sites that are similar to yours, it still counts. If visitors come to your page through a search engine, if they may not find the right content, they may go through your links and find it there. This does help search engines rank your site as you provide quality content and links to help your visitors find what they are looking for.
2. If you manage to exchange links with another website, try to get them to use one of your desired search terms in their link text. For example, if you are shoe store, try to have them create a link text of “Italian leather shoes” and once the visitor clicks on the text, it goes to your website “www.yourshoestore.com”.
3. Avoid having content in your site that is duplicated, either elsewhere on your site or another site. If the user is searching for a search term and finds similar content, this has no value for the user and in result, creates poor user experience.
4. Use descriptive names for your website pages, folders, titles, and outbound links. If you need to space a word out, use a hyphen as they are considered a “space” for the search engines (i.e. 7-Top-Tips-For-SEO).
6. Update your site regularly! Search engines loves to see fresh new content being updated on a regular basis. Try setting up a blog.
7. Avoid long web pages. Too much content in one page is never good. If you are organizing your content, try to have a max of 4000 words per page. Also, try to keep each page to a specific topic. Many sites use drop downs and sub pages to organize large amounts of information. Each topic on separate pages contains many similar related keywords, and therefore increases search engine optimization.